Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Captured on a roll

I recently caught up with a friend of mine, an avid student of photography, after quite a few months. While we chatted nonchalantly about a lot of other things, I was intrigued when he mentioned of Nicholas Nixon & his work ‘The Brown Sisters’. An google search & here I am, writing  this post.

The Brown Sisters happen to be Nicholas’ wife and her three sisters who he photographed every year since 1975 in the same line up. What started as a whim has been an annual tradition for decades now. By the time I reached the last few photographs I felt like I knew these sisters intimately. The change through the years is very tangible. Love, happiness, disapproval, dislike, anger, affection, sadness, acceptance, excitement, aloofness are all visible - the richness of the details all captured. That's the power of photography. I could imagine the life and troubles of each of the sisters and how she dealt with it. Also, their relationship with each other went through quite a few ups and downs. You can see it in the physical distance or the lack of it maintained between them over the years. Quite endearing really.


No comments:

Post a Comment