Dream big. Take a stand. Don’t give up.
Tall ideals like the ones
are taught to us as children. And when we grow up, discover a passion and declare
to the whole wide world that this is what we want to do with our lives, we’re
hit on the face with collective derision.
We’re told tales of great
revolutionaries who battled colossal hardships before they achieved what they sought.
But when we take this history seriously and try to emulate them in our own
lives, we’re asked to get practical.
It’s hard to fight for a
dream in a middle class Indian family. Greatness is not our cup of tea.
Striving for it would mean taking a huge risk. Our lives are ordinary. Be good,
toe the line, follow the herd and die one day without leaving so much as a
footprint behind. As long as you got a job and a decent bank balance, you can
sleep peacefully at night. Don’t strain yourself; someone else can do the
‘being great’ part.
Hello!! but that’s not how
dreams operate. For the record, they don’t
ever let you sleep in peace until you’ve done justice to them. They eat into
your grey matter and corrode your spine. They keep you awake in the dead of the
night, staring at the fan go round and round in the dull beam of the street
lamp. They make sure you’re restless, frustrated and desperate enough to drag
your ass around and go at it hammer and tongs. It’s awesome when you accomplish
them but then getting there is gonna zap the light off your eyes.
And, once you’re bitten by
your dream, greatness is not an option. It’s the journey that has already
begun, and is never gonna end.
It’s sad, but the fact is
that you’re alone in this journey. Care for a free advice? You’ll get tons of
thoughts every moment of every day of every freaking week. Most of it would
probably be backed by the noblest intentions of love and care. But take one
real look around and you’ll know that no one’s really got your back. No one
else is as obsessed. It’s just you.
If it were to be my dream, I’ll
whine a whole lot. Maybe consider settling for Plan B a zillion times in the
process. But I’ll get over it. Because, deep down, I will always know that I
can’t settle for anything lesser than that. I’ll take a stand. I’ll give it
time. I’ll grow the roots.
This post if written for
reminding myself of a status I had put up for a long time, about the leap of
faith. This is also written for someone very close to my heart. I do not wish
to name you but when you read this post you know this one’s for you, so you
believe in yourself & be clear of what you want.
P.S.: The post header is a line from the famous "sadda haq" from the 2011 blockbuster Rockstar.
Translation to english: why teach us the lesson of truthfulness, when you fear hearing the truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment